Happy Ascension Day! If you’ve never celebrated Ascension Day before or you’re not quite sure why it’s so important, check out these questions I wrote for our GIFT groups this week, based on Hebrews 10:11-25:
- If someone asked you why you were celebrating Ascension Day, how would you reply?
- Let’s look at verse 11. What was the problem with the existing Jewish religion? Why do people even today take comfort from performing religious ritual?
- Why is it so significant that Jesus “sat down at the right hand of God” (verse 12)? Look also at Hebrews 1:3, Acts 5:31 and 1 Peter 3:21-22.
- What does it mean to say that Jesus “waits for his enemies to be made his footstool” (verse 13)?
- In what way have we been made perfect (verse 14)? How is this perfection linked to the quotations from Jeremiah about the new covenant in verses 16 and 17? Look also at Acts 2:33.
- So what does the Ascension of Jesus Christ mean for us? Try to put verses 19 to 21 in your own words.
- The writer to the Hebrews sees the Ascension of Jesus Christ as having direct consequences for our everyday lives. Look at the four “lettuces” of Heb 10:22-25 and explain how each one is linked to the fact Jesus is now seated at the right hand of God. Compare also what Paul writes in Col 3:1-4 and the bold witness of Stephen in Acts 7:56.
- Let’s go back to our original question. How has this study helped you in your understanding of Ascension Day?